Monday, December 10, 2007

Lets take a visit to the most defensed place in the world!

Oh hey remember me?

I didn't post last Thursday because I knew I'd be doing something interesting this weekend.

So what'd I do?

Went to the most militarized place in the world. The DMZ-DUN DUN DUN!

It was really a rather boring trip, but I can now say I've been there, and seen North Korea too.
I didn't actually enter the DMZ itself(no one can) but I went into the special restriction area just north.
There's a 1.5 mile special restriction zone, then a 2 mile DMZ, then the North. I was in the restricted zone, and got all the way up to the 2 mile mark. There was an observation deck where you could see the North, and binoculars there to see even closer. I can now say I've seen North Koreans going about their every day lives.

For me the trip was both interesting and reflective. To think, there I was, a mile away from people who barely have electricity and think they're leader is part god. Amazing the power a government can have over it's people.

This is a lot like China, not really something I can accurately and fully write about, so if you want to know the whole story have a visit with me when I'm back in the States.

Here's some pics and a video anyway. If you've got questions, ask, I'll gladly answer.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The last train stop before the North(I could see the real DMZ from here) they built the station on the assumption that some day the trains could run through the north-when that's possible you'll be able to take a train from Seoul to Lisbon Portugal.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Freedom Bridge. The only way from the North. This is where reunifications happen, it's a pretty emotional place.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A memorial wall. The clothes all have hopes for reunification and prayers for family members still lost in the north. (Millions of families were torn apart when the split happened)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A shot of the North Korean flag pole. Both the North and the South erected giant flag poles to remind one another who they are in case they forget. Type in "North Korean Flag Pole" in google images to get a better view of this.


Video of North Korea. You weren't allowed to get any closer than that to the edge, there was a "photo line". Basically they don't want anyone to be able to get too serious photographs(there's also limitation on zoom capabilities)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bret, Merry Christmas!

I hope you are having a good day. Christmas Eve at the farm was nice but we missed you. There were way to many h'orderves (sp?) leftover. I know if you and Jason had been there that wouldn't have been the case :)

I posted a few pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/21605950@N00/

Love,
Aunt Sharon