Tuesday, October 30, 2007

It's 2:18 AM

and I can't sleep. It's been this way for about a week. I don't know what it is. I'm really really tired, but I can't get my body to shut down. I want to go to sleep, but I just don't want to go to sleep. I guess it happens to everyone now and then. Hopefully I'll get back to my semi-regular sleeping habits soon enough.

I've also had a couple of days of making an ass out of myself. Not in any serious way or anything, but it's definitely been hit after hit the past 4 days or so.

Thursday I was meeting a couple of friends for lunch. We were supposed to meet in front of the big department store. I showed up on time. It's a big meeting area. I'm scanning the crowd, can't find them, can't find them. Then over on the side of the building I see them waving. Ah, there they are! I give a big wave back and walk over towards them. When I'm about 20 feet away another girl enters from just behind my left shoulder, and says hello to them. I take a closer look, and, yep, not my friends at all. I've been waving and walking towards complete strangers. We've all done this one though, and I feel like I can't blame myself. They were both wearing hats and big coats, and well, they looked similar damn it.
Still kinda sucks.

Then this weekend. I'm walking along the street with Alex, another guy friend, and two girls-not really friends-just girls I've met a couple of times. The other guy friend, a Korean, is heading home. He asks me what I'm planning on doing, I tell him I think I'm going to go to dinner. He says "oh, well why don't you ask the girls to go to dinner with you."
(First, let me interject. It seems to me Koreans have no tact-I think it's largely to do with the second language thing, but they're never subtle, at all. Another quick story-must have been about six months ago-I was sitting outside a bar with Young(the middle aged gambling alcoholic) there were a couple of cute girls sitting at the table next to us. One of them says "Hi boy, nice to meet you!" It's sweet that they're trying to speak English. But Young, oh Young, says-loudly-"Hey Bret, they want to have a sexy time with you! Say Hello!" Of course they understand enough of that to be embarrassed as much as I am, and that ended that conversation)
Ok, so anyway, this other Korean friend puts me in an odd position-like I said I don't really know these girls, and I think they have other plans-so to keep him from saying something to them and telling them the same thing, I react quickly and say "eh, I'd rather eat alone."
He says ok and gets on the bus. About 20 seconds later the girls say they've got to head the other way and take off. Alex and I get a few steps further, and he says "I hate to make you kick your own ass." "Yeah?" "You know the one you thought was cute?"(I thought one of them was cute) "Yeah" "Well, she told me earlier that she had a thing for you, and they wanted to go to dinner with us tonight...and I'm pretty sure she heard you say 'I'd rather eat alone'."
"F*#$^"
Mostly, I just feel bad because if she heard me, and understood the meaning of what I said. "I'd rather eat alone" is about the rudest damn thing I could have possibly said, and I was only trying to save them an awkward situation. I haven't heard from them again sense. I hope I do, only to make an unass of myself. Ugh.

Yet another, 'Bret's a dumb ass' story.

Today I was in Itaewon(the Western part of the city). I was walking down the street known as hooker hill. I see a couple of guys, they're clean looking, dressed well, middle 40's I'd say, obviously businessmen. I hear one say "That place has a Guinness sign, I wonder if they're open." Now, many of guys have gotten conned on hooker hill. They think they're going into a bar when they're actually going into a brothel. (By the way the English bookstore is also on hooker hill-that's where I was at, promise-the hookers are all ugly and way to expensive anyway)
So I turn around. "Hey are you guys looking for a bar?"
"Yeah, kind of"
"Eh, you better not look here. There's a nice Scottish place a couple of blocks over, and a whole row of decent pubs behind the Hamilton."
"Oh....ok"
"Yeah, you really don't want to look here. This is called hooker hill. It's all shady places with more than just Guinness"
"Uh. Yeah. We know. That's what we're looking for."
"OKAY! Best of luck to you then..."

Lesson learned: When you come across men searching for something on 'hooker hill', it's best not to stop and ask them what they're looking for-you probably don't want to know.

Happy Halloween. (I didn't dress up, Alex is a liar and said there'd be no dressing up. Everyone went all out-except me-I was too sick to care really. On sinus medication though, standing on a dance floor between an Asian nurse in a mini-skirt and a full body Preditor-well, lets just say it's a trip. Yes, there was a guy who showed up in a full bore, straight off the set, version of Preditor-and there was a guy dressed as Alien too.)

G'night!

No comments: