Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Yes, I haven't posted in a long time. I have my reasons. I doubt I'll be posting too much in the future either. It's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting now is to share someone else's work. Recently a man-Bill Kapoun-passed away in a fire. It happened 2 buildings down from my apartment. It was only a few days before I moved in. The guys who lived in our apartment before us were good friends with him. When we moved in his smoky guitar was still in the room. I feel like I've gotten to know a lot about him since his passing. His sister recently posted a large essay he had written over the years. Largely it chronicles his travels. The man was truly a world traveler.
It was striking to read just how similar my ideas were to his.

I just wanted to share his last paragragh:
On its most superficial level traveling allows us to see and discover new and beautiful things, on a slightly deeper level it allows us to know more about our neighbors in the rest of the world, which is one of the things America needs the most right now, but at its deepest level the greatest gift of traveling is the personal journey that allows us to see our own likes and dislikes, passions and perversions, history and future, under a completely different light. Only then can we be truly satisfied for; truly, many will shed a tear when we pass from this world, but besides our nearest loved ones, our days on this earth are quickly forgotten. Few will remember us a year later. The things we do, the attainment of the goals we spend so much time striving for, all mean little beyond the here and now. That is why, when I die, all I hope people to say of me is he lived life. The good, the bad, he took it all in, and relished it. Yes, he lived life for life. Which is how we should all live our lives, never letting a precious moment slip by.

William Kapoun

Why do I do the things I do? I couldn't have put it better myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is just so profound. I wish I could have known him. At least I am lucky enough to know YOU